Thursday, October 11, 2018

Mini Paintings

The St Michaels Art League (SMAL) was asked to partner with Christmas in St Michaels (CISM) in a new venture this year. CISM is a group that was formed over 30 years ago. They put on a weekend event in December each year and raise money for local non profits. They sponsor a home-town parade, house tour, breakfast with Santa, gala dinner/dance, etc.

For many years, SMAL members have done drawings of the houses on the tour for the event booklet. This year we are also doing mini paintings (3x3, 4x4, 4x6...inches, that is) which will be displayed on small easels and will be for sale.

It's a challenge to paint that small...  I began looking through my photo file and decided I would miniaturize some paintings that I had done on a much larger scale. I warmed up with a few small sketches and this is what I came up with.

These are all 4"x6"

This one was originally a watercolor of three peppers on a window sill. The peppers were farther apart. This small painting is a watercolor & ink sketch.

I was into an ice cream cone phase for quite a while. I liked trying different flavors and drip patterns.

This was originally a watercolor painting that involved more rope twists. I simplified it a bit and it's now a small watercolor & ink sketch. 

It was a fun challenge!

Christmas in St Michaels weekend is the second weekend in December. Mark your calendars and come join the fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment