Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Signs...

For many years I have been intrigued by headlines and signs.  There are two clippings from the local newspaper on our refrigerator right now: one reads "Man Turns Himself Into Police"(an interesting magic stick to be sure...and it does not even indicate the involvement of a phone booth) and the other is an ad that says "2 Dozen Large Males $40" (I am sure that one could be of interest to a number of young females).

I love the way our language is used. Words imply so many different things and the messages we put out there can be very amusing at times.  One of the things I enjoy doing is to look for signs in relationship to other signs. My all time favorite was in Towson, Maryland several years ago at one of the strip malls.  There were two businesses next to each other - actually sharing a building. Picture this:  "Raver's Fine Meats" immediately next to "Towson Animal Hospital."  Mr. Raver, the butcher, had a great reputation, but I could never make myself go in there!

Recently on our spring break vacation I spotted these road signs.  Like the aforementioned signs which really had nothing to do with one another, I am trying NOT to treat these as being connected...but I had to put them in my sketchbook.


There is something about 'Lovers Lane' and 'Dead End' on the same pole...   its gotta make you smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment