Monday, September 24, 2012

Homework

I have been taking photographs of our grandchildren for years...hmmm, our oldest will be 23 this week. How can that be? A thought to ponder at another time...

It has always been interesting to me how various children react when they see a camera.  Some see the camera and hide behind their hands (or any convenient person or piece of furniture). Others run away entirely and occasionally scream "Don't take my picture!" Some respond with slumped shoulders and an unenthusiastic "OK."  And then, there are those who sense that there is a camera somewhere and immediately turn toward it with a big toothy grin.

Of course, we, the photographers are not without our own antics.  When the children are tiny we stand there with our cameras aimed and make all kinds of silly faces and noises trying to produce a smile in an infant.  Then we get to the "Say 'cheese'" phase and the dutiful subjects respond. Later when we look at the picture we see the 'bunny ears' that the little dears have bestowed on their neighboring sibling by holding up those two fingers behind their head!

A few months ago my daughter's #2 child asked if I would paint a picture of her for her birthday.  (Actually, she said, "Gramma Jo, I know what I want for my birthday. I want you to paint three pictures of me.")

OK, this is one of those children who 'know' when there is a camera about to be aimed in her direction. So, when I look through my picture file, all the pictures of her have teeth. She is beautiful and loves to have her picture taken but, when you paint a picture with smiling teeth it often looks like that person has a piano in their mouth!

She and I discussed this dilemma and then spent a bit of time taking pictures with her trying NOT to smile.  I know that was so hard for her.  She sat at the kitchen table doing her homework and I snapped away.

Last week she turned eleven and the picture is framed and ready to go to her.
Happy Birthday, Leighton!



No comments:

Post a Comment