Monday, September 3, 2012

Warm and Cool

From time to time I am asked to be a substitute in an on-going watercolor class that meets in St Michaels. It is a treat for me - I always learn something, the artist instructor is talented and helpful - she gives great critiques... and the other class members are such fun.

Last month I was fortunate to be able to sub two back-to-back weeks.  It's really nice to have that continuity. The class was working on warm and cool paintings.  The first week we painted our warm paintings using only warm colors - reds, yellows, greens.

I looked through my picture file and found a picture that I had taken on my recent trip to Vermont.  Paul's sunlit, red barn had all sorts of flowers growing up the side.


I struggled with the windows and doorway.  In my photograph these were very dark areas and as I was painting them they I lost the warm feeling.  A red watercolor wash helped.  However, when I got home and looked at it again (after a day of staring at it on the easel across the room) I couldn't let it be and began to 'play' with my pastels...  The white window frame warmed up as did most everything else!  Ta-da, my warm painting...

So, the following week was the 'cool' assignment.  Another look through the picture file and I found one of the beautiful morning mist rising and rolling across Nelson Pond (a camp where we stay)... birch trees and firs being alternately seen and partially hidden by the haze.


I painted this wet-on-wet... beginning with very wet paper and dropping watercolor onto it for a soft, flowing look. These blues, blue-greens and grays carry the cool feeling.  If fact, when I showed it to someone without any explanation, they thought it was a winter painting.  I guess I captured 'cold'!  I may have to stick in just a little blue sky (and water) to bring it back to summer...and hear the wonderful calls of the loons across the pond.

No comments:

Post a Comment