Friday, May 24, 2013

How much to crop?

She had been taking gymnastics for several weeks and it was time for the class to end.  Parents and grandparents were invited to come on the last day and see what the children had learned.

I snapped a picture at the end of her 'routine.'  She's so proud of herself - she got her feet up on that bar . . .with help and . . . amazement.

Now my dilemma is this:  I really like painting relationships and I like painting children, BUT can this child stand alone without the other figure?  I think we need to see the 'helping hands' but am not sure that the helper's face and figure need to be there. They feel distracting to me.

So far, I have just sketched in the helper, but am leaning toward cropping her out. I really want to focus on the pleasure in the child's face.

Before I work on painting in the helper . . . I am asking for advice. . .

I want to call this one "Helping Hands." (I still have more work to do on it)



This one has no title, as yet . . . the helper is mostly the watercolor underpainting.


Shall I finish the helper's features and keep her in?    or shall I crop her out?

No comments:

Post a Comment