Friday, August 30, 2013

Nelson Pond sketches

Ahhhh, we have returned from a lovely 10 day vacation in Vermont.  The air was cool and crisp - a wonderful break from our Maryland summer (familiar local phrase . . ."It's not the temperature, it's the humidity!").

For the past few years we have been fortunate to rent a cabin (in Vermont they call this a 'camp') on Nelson Pond just down the mountain from my son's farm. It is delightfully rustic, with a large screened room that overlooks the pond. There is a great dock - access to the cool, clear water . . . great swimming!

We spend a lot of our time with the grandchildren, so I don't even bother to take painting supplies. However, I love to spend a quiet morning or two sitting in various places with my sketchbook. Each year there are flowers in new/used containers  - sap buckets, barrels, a coal skittle, the ripped out seat of an old chair and more.








Here is one of the barrels.  It's the end of summer and the delicate blossoms were doing a rather dainty dance routine.











On the short walk down to the dock there is a fire pit area.  It's set up with comfortable seating - Adirondack chairs and a bench. Here is the bench by the fire pit. . . it just called to me to be sketched.
















As I was sitting on the bench, a dragonfly paid a visit. S/he seemed very at ease and enjoyed the sunshine just inches away from my sketchbook.









Alas, summer is almost over and now it's back to the 'real' world. . . after I make a few notecards with these new sketches, that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment