Sunday, January 26, 2014

Paint it again, Jo

Last July and August I posted about my process of painting the little boy on the dock with a crab. "The Escapee" See posts - 7/19/13 and 8/7/13.

I had begun with a watercolor underpainting and then played with my pastels. I set it aside because I knew there was something wrong with it and felt stuck. I finally figured out what it was and finished the painting in time for an art show in August.

Well, Fall quickly slipped by and suddenly I was feeling pressure to come up with an idea for my 2014 banner.

For the past several years I've been displaying crabs - some holding various flags, some cartoon-like holding a mug of beer or hanging lanterns in the trees. A friend of mine has nick-named my crabs "Mikey" - I think that's because we display our banners in St Michaels. Every year she asks me, "What is Mikey going to be doing this year?" (If you really are interested you can look at older posts - 5/13/11, 2/27/12, 2/6/13 - but, that seems like a lot of work, doesn't it?)

Back to 2014 - all the banner artwork needs to be 18x18 square format. I was trying to get some 'crabby' ideas and then thought of 'The Escapee." I decided to repaint it in the required size.

It is challenging for me to re-paint something . . . and to change the shape from vertical to square. But, what the heck . . . it was worth a try. I finished this up at the end of December and it is ready to go to the judging the first week of February.

As it turns out - it was fun doing it again. I feel like I really know this little boy now.

Look for "Don't Let 'Im Get Away" (yes, I changed the title) hanging on a pole along Talbot Street sometime in April.



No comments:

Post a Comment