Friday, June 13, 2014

Another ROPE!

Yup, I warned you in my last post that you might be seeing more ropes . . . I got so intrigued by those other lines (sailor talk for 'ropes'), that I went looking for more. I had imagined a rope sort of coiled on a piling. . .

This is a time when living on the water has its advantages. Of course, that is the case most of the time for me. I feel blessed to be able to look out on Broad Creek any time, any season and have a lovely view.

Well, I walked out on the dock, found some line and put it up on a piling to give me an idea what it might look like. (Yes, our water here really is green)


I still liked the idea, but knew I needed to tweak it a bit. For one thing, I wanted a heavier line - this line is for my husband's current boat, a little 18' sailboat. I wanted something sturdy. I liked the water and the piling in this photo. I could use them.

I began my sketch, trying different line configurations. Remembering the other painting and all the knots, I thought I would add some interest with a knot.


This photo isn't that great, but you get the idea. So I was ready to begin painting . . .until I really looked at what I had drawn. I liked all the coils and the knot, but when I tried to follow the line it either went nowhere or ran out. I could not actually follow it around and around.  Now I am laughing at myself and trying to figure out how to make it work! After some very confusing attempts, I finally made it work with lines on top of lines. Now - time to begin painting . . .


It was coming together at last. Lots more layers of color needed, but getting there. The last thing I added was the nail stuck in the piling to hold the line. My husband suggested a fancier way to hold the line, but I love the casual nail and the not so neat coil.


I really like the strength in this painting. The strong color in the piling and the lines contrasted with the softness in the water, shoreline and the sky. I think it may be time to sign it and let it go.


No comments:

Post a Comment