Saturday, October 4, 2014

Autumn Color

Currently there is an exhibit at the St Michaels Library called "Autumn Color." I haven't seen it hanging as yet - it's been a busy week - but I am told that it is beautiful.

The painting I entered was the one I mentioned in my last post. This cute little girl has recently turned 13 - now a beautiful teenager! Way back then she had visited a pumpkin farm and was so excited to have found just the right one for her. It's fun to see the little kids pick out their pumpkin and then try to carry it back. This child was a bit more realistic than some others who struggle with the biggest ones they can find!

I began with a watercolor underpainting on sanded paper.


I wanted to colors soft and at the same time bold. Hmmm, is that possible?


Here is what I did in the first hour or so. I debated whether to change the color of her sweatshirt to accommodate the 'autumn color' theme and decided to just go with the purple.


A few more refinements on the face, hands, pumpkins, background...just kept tweaking...


Getting a little closer to what I wanted - playing with the shadows and background...

"I Found One"  9x12 pastel  $125

Time's up...stop fiddling...sign it and frame it.




No comments:

Post a Comment