Wednesday, April 27, 2016

The Chalice

A few weeks ago I attended a one day workshop entitled "Artistic Breakthrough - taking your art to the next level." It seemed like a good idea, except that I had just completed the marine chart with the challenging small, acrylic paintings (see my last post) and felt like I needed a break from 'breakthrough/challenge.'

At that point, I was not quite sure what 'the next level' would be.

The workshop information invited us to use any medium. Hmmm, it would be good - and feel familiar - to reconnect with my watercolors or pastels. Since I regularly substitute in a watercolor class, I chose to spend this day with my somewhat neglected pastels.

We had lots of choices as to what we would paint that morning. It's been a long time since I used the pastels, so I decided to paint the still life set up as a warm-up exercise. The set up was a tarnished silver goblet... and a few other things. I am into simplifying, so I focused only on the goblet.

I had such a great time - the drawing just flowed! And then, I began to add the color. I love the pastels at this stage. Layers of color, changing and glowing...it was like magic for me.

I have tweaked it a bit since then - and continue to look at it from across the room. Recently, I stuck it in a gold frame and I love it. It's no longer just a goblet for me - it's a chalice.

"The Chalice"     9x12 pastel     $225  

No comments:

Post a Comment