Thursday, October 13, 2016

Common things we don't see...

A few weeks ago I was again in that 'in-between' place. I had finished a painting for a show and was stuck as to what to paint next. I went to class that morning and just felt flat. I still needed to paint a house for an upcoming exhibit titled "Painted Ladies," but was not inspired.

It was a beautiful day so I decided to take my camera and walk around the neighborhood - looking to be inspired. What I discovered was that the things that caught my eye most were not the lovely Victorian houses, but the 'invisible' things: a trash can overturned, old duck decoys hanging from a tree branch, a rusty old gate and a fire hydrant! Not exactly what I had planned, but why not give it a go?

I really like the shapes on the fire hydrant...I began drawing. I sketched first with pencil and then got out my matchstick and ink and completed the ink sketch.


A bit of watercolor wash on the hydrant and a dark background and this really pops!


I love it that common (invisible) things can be art!

No comments:

Post a Comment