Saturday, July 8, 2017

There's something about hollyhocks...

This summer I am trying to get organized for several art shows coming up in the fall. There are two shows in October that have similar themes - "Around Town' is the stated theme of the art league's show. The other show suggestion was that 'local art sells.'

So, the other day I was driving around St Michaels and looking to be inspired. I stopped on North Street at a 4 way stop sign. There, next to a telephone pole, were hollyhocks!

I don't know about you, but there's something about hollyhocks that takes me back in time. I can't remember specifically, but my mother loved to garden - she must have grown them 'once upon a time.' It's really strange, when I see them growing, I am momentarily transported to a childhood 'almost' memory.

Of course, I was immediately hooked! I took a few pictures - the flowers looked a little scraggly. But, the wonderful thing about painting is that I can paint from a photo and change it to be what I need it to be.

In addition to finding inspiration I am also trying to paint more loosely this summer. Here is an opportunity to not put everything in this painting.

I began with a simple pencil sketch and then got out my pen. Just a few lines to give the impression of flowers, leaves and stems...and then some watercolor washes. I left out a telephone pole, a green cement block building and a bit of roadside trash.


I like this look. I put it across the room for awhile to take a look. Other than the flowers floating in space...I like it's simplicity.

I added some suggestion of leaves, and grasses. Now it's grounded.

I may have to title it "Hollyhocks on North Street" to give it a local setting, but for now it's "Hollyhocks - a memory"

"Hollyhocks - a memory"   11x14 watercolor & ink  $150







No comments:

Post a Comment