Friday, June 16, 2017

Ladybugs

Recently I was looking through some old sketchbooks - actually looking to be inspired - and came upon a series of sketches I had done with a group a few years ago. It was a three-day paint out - painting in a different place each day with a critique at the end of the day.

I had chosen to just do sketches rather than try to complete a 'fine art' painting. I love the freedom and quickness of sketching. There is a freshness in my work when I do this.

One of the places that had fascinated me was an old log cabin. I love the way the logs are fit together - particularly at the ends. The patterns in the wooden logs has always interested me. These had interesting shadows and textures.

With all those things going for it, the painting also needed some focal points - not just a static representation of old logs. I am drawn to the color red...how about some ladybugs crawling up the side of the wall? That gives it some movement and color!

I decided to use the matchstick and ink drawing method so that the ink lines would be more 'scratchy.' An ink pen gives a straighter, more clean line. They are old, weathered logs, after all. The matchstick would be perfect.

Here's the beginning...the first watercolor wash over the matchstick and ink drawing.


Next I added a little more color to the mortar and the beginning of the ladybugs. 

The painting needed to be grounded in a 'scene.' So, here's an indication of grass, trees and sky on the right. I purposely did not want detail there - keep the viewer's eye on the cabin.


To finish this up, I got out the matchstick and ink again and added more detail in the logs. Actually, I did have to stop myself - I got a little carried away with defining all the cracks and crannies! A bit more definition in the shadows and a watercolor wash here and there...

"Ladybugs"   11x14 watercolor & ink   $225
...And it makes me smile!


No comments:

Post a Comment