Sunday, March 25, 2018

Bringing back a memory

For many years my parish has offered a weekly service of Holy Communion at a retirement facility in our community. I volunteer there and am scheduled to help on the fourth Thursday of each month. I look forward to this time - I love being there. There is something very special about being a part of this ministry that I treasure.

This past Thursday we were celebrating Palm Sunday (which is really today, but each Thursday we use the readings for the upcoming Sunday). Of course, we had palms to give to everyone.

Marianne, the Chaplain at Bayleigh Chase, took a palm and said, "Remember how as kids we always made crosses with the palms?" We started recalling the different kinds of crosses we all made.

Yes, I remembered making crosses! The ones I made were done with knives...they were cut in precise ways and then a crossbar was slid into the center part. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I do not carry a knife with me so I couldn't make 'my' crosses.

However, Marianne had made hers by folding the palm branches. She began making crosses, the memories came flooding back and before long ... she had all these lying on the table!


I know, it's not something I painted, but I love the image ... maybe someday, I will paint it!

No comments:

Post a Comment