Saturday, June 2, 2018

The wedding

Several months ago, a longtime friend of ours told us that one of her grandsons was getting married and she wanted me to do a painting for the couple. Andrew and Jen are to be married at the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum in St. Michaels and Shirley wanted to painting to show a local scene.

We talked about what should be in the painting: Andrew and Jen, the Hooper Straight Lighthouse (icon of the museum), the small boat shed (where the reception is to be held), my crabs, water, a flag, the date...the list grew longer.

I had to start somewhere...  What works well for me is to put all this in my head and 'sleep on it.' The next day I had the idea of bride and groom crabs on the lighthouse.

Here is a first sketch done on drawing paper.



We talked about this some and decided to make the lighthouse more prominent and put their names underneath.

Next sketch - again on drawing paper


The lighthouse has more detail and a light source. Crabs are too big...

Next sketch is on watercolor paper - going for the real thing.


It is going to look OK in a mat. Needs a little tweaking here and there.

The weather forecast for wedding day continues to be iffy. The mother of the groom told me that if it rains, the wedding will be under the lighthouse! I'm going tp put more clouds in the sky... and sign it.


Painting is framed.

They are now all off to the wedding - our fingers are crossed - everyone is taking an umbrella...

No comments:

Post a Comment