Tuesday, June 7, 2011

An Acrylic First

This may be mis-titled - perhaps it's "A First Acrylic."

The St Michaels Art League is sponsoring an exhibit at the St Michaels Library in July.  The exhibit is titled "OAAO" (Oils and acrylics only).  A few years ago I challenged myself to put something in every exhibit that SMAL sponsored - and I thought "Aha, I am off the hook for this one since I have NEVER done oils or acrylics."

Well, this morning I talked to my co-chair (we register the artists and hang the exhibits) and she told me that registrations were coming in very slowly for the July event - actually, she hasn't received any as yet! So, I figured I would give it a try.  Some years ago we had a representative from a paint company speak at a SMAL meeting and he handed out samples (starter kits) of acrylic paints.  I rummaged around and came up with small tubes of red, green, yellow, blue and white... and I was ready to go.

I love the look of the marshes in the fall... full of color!


As with any painting, I never know when it's done...  any suggestions?  I may need to do a few more before I enter anything, but it was a fun afternoon.

1 comment:

  1. Jo - when I think marsh - I think red winged blackbirds ... but then again a westie looks good in any setting!

    I think your work is amazing and personally I wouldn't add another thing to this piece - simple is sometimes better when it comes to nature.

    All the best - Katie

    ReplyDelete