Thursday, August 18, 2011

Sharing the sketchbook

Last April my daughter invited us to join her family for a week in Florida.  One morning I went out with my sketchbook and began drawing.  After just a few minutes, the youngest granddaughter (age 4) appeared, "What are you doing, Gramma Jo?"  I showed her what I was doing and she asked if she could paint, too.

We went to the table to set up some some paints for her  - I went to get her some paper. When I returned she was happily painting away in my sketchbook!  Well, why not?  She had a wonderful time.  When her sisters returned from a walk on the beach, everyone got involved... and each one did a page of her own special painting. When we returned from Florida I posted them on my facebook page - but I have not blogged about them.

So, then a few weeks ago we went to Vermont to see my other grandchildren... and of course, they needed to be in the sketchbook, too.  I am proudly including all the pages  - how blessed I am to have all these young people in my life.

This is the first one - done by Hildry, age 4. (She's now 5)  She named everything in her picture:  a house, palm tree, striped towel, rainbow, sun. water...  actually she spread her picture over two pages.

Here is Winnie's - at age 6 (she's now 7)  She loved the hammock and you can also see the people on the beach.

Leighton, age 9, also liked the hammock.  She added an alligator after we had visited the Everglades.  I love his expression!


Graeme, then age 11 (now 12) drew the morning coffee and a flower.  Not bad for a girl with a broken wrist!



This was done by Maizie - age 12.  Her Drama Queen and Drama King.  We googled drama masks and then she came up with her own.
Kieran, age 8 - and the only boy...  very creative - needs to be with all those girls.  I had brought him a couple rolls of fancy duct tape.  He chose to use the tape and cut out this figure which he taped to his page.  He is also going to paint something and send it to me... someday.

WIth treasures this wonderful, how can I not share!

1 comment: