Sunday, March 4, 2012

A trip to the mall - delights and surprises

George's computer screen turned pink... After reading lots of posts about this issue (and possible fixes) we decided that the best thing to do was to take a trip to the Apple Store. The nearest store is in Annapolis at the mall. We made an appointment on line and arrived the next morning.

It is an amazing place - full of blue shirted young people (the Apple employees) each one holding an iPad and eager to assist.  We were led to the 'Genius Bar' and introduced to Danny. He was very helpful.  He typed away, 'stressed' the computer, typed some more and gave advice.

While all this was going on I began looking around the store.  Near where we were standing is an area just for kids. Computers on low tables (kid height) with big cushiony balls for chairs. I was immediately taken with one little girl who was patiently waiting ...playing on an iPod.  She was so engrossed. I couldn't resist, I got out my iPhone camera and took some pictures.  Then I noticed a tall man standing behind her...probably her father. Understanding today's world, I went over to him and asked if he was her father.  Yes, he was. I told him I thought his daughter was beautiful. I said I was an artist and I particularly liked to paint children.  I had taken her picture to paint and assured him that it was not for any other purpose.  He was OK with that.

I went back to where Danny was working and a few minutes later the man came over and handed me his card. He asked me to email him when I painted her picture - he'd love to see it! How cool is that?  Then I looked at the card...would you believe, he was a Secret Service Agent! You never know...good thing I talked to him about taking her picture.

So, here she is as a preliminary sketch. I think this will probably find its way to becoming a lovely pastel one of these days.


1 comment: