Sunday, June 16, 2013

Red, White, and Blue

Egads! It's almost July... I know, we haven't officially begun summer yet, but the warm weather is here and school is out... and there is another exhibit coming up at the St Michaels Library.

Several years ago, when I threw myself into involvement with the St Michaels Art League, I made a promise to myself that I would work to put something into every exhibit the SMAL sponsors. So far, I have kept that promise even to the extent that I entered the Oil and Acrylic Only exhibit (see posts on June 7 and June 11, 2011) - though I don't use either medium.

This year the July exhibit theme is Red, White, and Blue - original, huh? When we picked the theme, it seemed like a great idea. I have been thinking about what I wanted to enter and since I am in my 'paint children' period, I, of course, found some pictures in my file that I could tweak (change the colors) to reflect the theme.

Here is the first one:
"Red, White and Blue "               Pastel - 12x16          $150
The red suit was originally striped, the white shirt was originally purple and the blue suit was a blue, yellow, orange (I think) pattern.  Leighton, the child in the middle is very fair and her mother made her cover up that day because the sun was so strong. When I showed her mother the painting she thought that this might make Leighton feel better about the shirt (which she hated wearing) - after all, she is now the center of the painting!

We are allowed to enter two pictures in this exhibit.  Here is another one that I just finished.

"Little Wave Dancer"    Pastel - 9x12     $125
She was at the water's edge, oblivious to anyone around her.  She was just playing with the waves and dancing all by herself.  So carefree - how wonderful to be young!

The exhibit will hang in the St Michaels Library for the month of July. Drop by and have a look at what else might be Red, White, and Blue.




2 comments: