Saturday, October 26, 2013

Setting up an oyster still life

This past week I substituted again in the watercolor class. I haven't been for a few weeks so didn't know what the class had been working on. When I arrived, I found a still life set-up waiting to be painted.

Previously, there had been talk of oyster shells  - there they were . . .along with a red buoy, lots of rope and a fish net. Off to the side there was another buoy and an old wooden block pulley. They were not a part of the set-up, but we were told we could arrange whatever we wanted.

I had never painted oysters and thought that might be fun. I began my sketch and discovered that the oysters kept looking like strange blobs. The buoy was colorful and fun to draw, but those oysters just didn't do it for me.  That left the ropes, the other buoy and the block. It seemed more daunting by the minute!

Because others in class were already painting what was there, I needed to rearrange the set-up in my head and get it onto my sketchbook page. I decided to challenge myself by attempting ropes - I drastically simplified them - and then added the block. I left the oysters out entirely.  So, what was to have been an oyster painting ... well, it's not.

The preliminary sketch and the final drawing took a long time so that when class ended I had accomplished this much. If you look closely you can see the block and the fish net.


It's been a busy week - I didn't get back to painting until this afternoon. Actually, that gave me time to figure out how I was going to do the rest - particularly, the net. I thought I needed do a wash over most of the paper and then decided to mask out the net. I painted the block while the mask was drying and then laid in the wash - trying to change its color as it flowed across the paper. I took this photo while it was drying.  It will undoubtedly be lighter when it dries. I may do another wash if it's too light... BEFORE I remove the mask. But, that's all for another day. If it changes dramatically, I'll post it again.


And then, of course, I'll also be asking for comments on a title!

No comments:

Post a Comment