Sunday, December 22, 2013

The other one...

Last week I posted one of the paintings I had been commissioned to do. After I finished it, I found out more about the children I have been painting.  It turns out that they are not grandchildren, but are actually great-grandchildren! I think that makes it even more special.

This week I finished the other painting and took them both to show the proud great-grandmother.

The original photograph for this painting showed Abby in a field of sunflowers. She was looking up, but not actually at a flower and the flowers were a little farther away. The wonderful thing about painting is that I can move things around where I think they look best. I guess digital photo experts can do that, too. But, painters frequently 'improve' a scene by choosing what to include (and what to leave out!)

So, I moved the largest sunflower up a bit and closer to her. Here is the underpainting:


I couldn't wait to get started so I began with Abby... I did a little work on the flower and left the soft watercolor area in the center alone for awhile.


I knew I needed something to connect Abby with the flower, so I began suggesting some leaves and tried just to play with the color.


It still looks very sketchy so I began adding more definition to the leaves and some smaller, undefined flowers above her head. I really didn't want your eye to go away from the two foci, but they need to be connected somehow.


Well, I felt like I was getting closer, so I took it to class and asked for a consultation. Many helpful suggestions - including "add some darks; more definition on the flowers in the distance; work on the line that defines her head, neck and shoulders..."



Voila! I love consultations! They get me out of my head and allow me to see with other eyes. I think this works now and Abby's great-grandmother says, "Frame them!"

She will be surprising the family with the paintings, but told me I could post them beforehand.  So, shhh, if you know these children, don't give the secret away.

Merry Christmas, everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment