Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Small Paintings - at The News Center in Easton, MD


One of the fun and interesting things about painting is to revisit old work. I tend to put old paintings aside in a pile or a box (out of sight).  Occasionally though, I get them out to remind myself that indeed I have learned something over the past several years!

There are surprises as I look at these old paintings - "That's pretty good. How did I do that? "or "That's embarrassingly awful. Why didn't I destroy that?" or "This one's not too bad. Is it fixable?"

Recently, the artists in the watercolor class that I sometimes attend started looking at our old paintings - particularly some that were just not quite right. They may have even been 'turnovers' - paintings we couldn't stand and turned them over to paint on the back.

Using a small mat, we went over each one with an eye to finding a small painting within the larger one. As we did this, an idea was born. What about a show/exhibit of small paintings? That spurred us on to look at more paintings and the show began to take shape!

I looked at several old paintings with new eyes and found some fun small studies. I reframed a few other things in a smaller format and am ready to go!

Here are three of the eight paintings I am putting in the show.


"Fall Tree" 8x10 watercolor
 Oops! Looks like I took this photo on a strange angle. Sorry . . .

"Spring Tree" 8x10 watercolor

"Garden Arch" 8x10 watercolor & ink
The show will be hung on Saturday, August 1 at the News Center  - 218 N. Washington St. (in the Talbottown Shopping Center), Easton, MD.  It will run for 2 months, so YOU have an opportunity to drop by and do a little early Christmas shopping!  Enjoy.




No comments:

Post a Comment