Saturday, September 26, 2020

"Meditation"

Over this past summer, our local art museum sent out weekly emails. Each week there was a word prompt - theme for the week. One week the word was "Meditation." A good challenge so I got out my sketchbook...pencils, pens, brushes, and paints...



I do not consider myself a true 'meditator,' but I am inspired by nature and music and can ‘lose myself’ in certain special places.

I began thinking about a lot of different things... The slow oscillating sprinkler. It’s gentle back and forth spray is mesmerizing.

Water is important to me in so many ways... 

There’s the birdbath... I love to watch the small fountain and the antics of the birds.


 When weather permits, I try to swim every day. I love being in the water...



..and on the water. One of my fondest memories is of canoeing on Wisconsin lakes in the summer.



Some of my quietest times have been just sitting on our deck and looking at the water. It’s a very healing place.



Of course, my garden is also a place for thinking and healing. When the deer are not eating all my plants, it’s a peaceful place.



We live surrounded by tall trees...black cheery, locusts, maples, oaks, and tall pines. There is something special about forests.

In the winter, we are forced to be inside more, but there is nothing like being in front of a blazing fire ...
...or just sitting in front of a glowing candle.

And, the other thing I depend on is music. It transports me to peaceful places. Unfortunately, this sketch went onto two pages so there is a crease in the middle. 


Having a suggested theme was helpful. It got me thinking about possibilities. 
More sketches to come from another week's theme...



 





No comments:

Post a Comment