Saturday, September 5, 2020

The Turkey Challenge

Several weeks ago and artist friend sent a very strange drawing around to several other artists with this challenge...

Color Me Beautiful Challenge:

Tinting Tom Turkey


The Challenge

 

1.      Attached you will find a black and white sketch of a male turkey head.  Enlarge this elegant fowl and print on an 8.5x11 sheet.  You might also consider a composition of multiple heads which must conform to the 8.5x11 size.

2.     Entries may be colored with any medium desired.

3.   The entries should reflect the artistic style and personality of the artist.


Here's the turkey head.....

When I first saw it, I thought..."you've got to be kidding!" 

I tried to picture it various ways... then I re-read the challenge and saw a possibility of multiple heads...

Hmmm,  I printed out lots of small heads, cut them apart and began to arrange them.


Maybe a flower... and leaves...

I did some more arranging, took away a few petals and reversed the leaf on the right. I took a photo and then printed it out on watercolor paper. There was no way I was going to draw NINE ugly turkey heads! 

I googled turkeys to see about color...

I got out my watercolors and it looked like this.


I think this is fun, but also very busy and in your face. I was going for a more subtle look. I washed off the blue, and toned it down, trying to keep the beak. I really liked the subtle beak on the leaves. 

"Nine Turkeys"

I sent in my completed challenge and was informed this morning that my entry came in SECOND in the contest!

It was a weird/fun challenge during a very challenging time! Thanks, Lee!
 








No comments:

Post a Comment