Saturday, October 10, 2020

More September sketches...

 Taking some time this morning to finish up posting the September sketches. Beginning where I left off - September 17th.

Silhouette and Pot Plant - This silhouette is a sketch of one of my grandmother's sisters. It was given to me by her daughter who told me how it was done. Apparently, ladies and gentlemen of the time would sit before an artist who would cut out their likeness from a piece of black paper! It was framed in an oval frame. When I first saw Pot Plant - pot is what I thought of...but I am sure it could be any plant in a pot - I would call that a potted plant.  As to how these two images might be related...I can't imagine Great Aunt Mary smoking pot...but she probably had house plants



Odd and Empty -
I took the easy way out with Odd... odd-numbered balloons. I had fun with Empty. I tried to take pictures of my hands holding something and emptying it. Not easy to hold something and take a picture at the same time! Throughout all this sketching, I have been pushing myself to learn more about drawing hands.  Comment about these two - it does seem odd to pour out a gallon paint!


Skeleton and Crocodile - I had done a skeleton for something else so it wasn't too exciting. The crocodile sent me to google to find out the difference between gators and crocs. (I knew all that once...) As I now look a the sketches, I see I unconsciously faced the croc away from the skeleton... I must have already been planning how they go together...or not!


Ancient and Rhinoceros
 - I love ancient trees. Their twisted limbs are amazing. I always imagine that each tree has so much history to share - stories to tell. The rhinoceros always seems like its old...walking in a plundering way. It probably dates back quite a ways...would it have stories, too?

Thirsty and Blob -
I tried to think of all the things that I like to drink so I won't be thirsty. Blob really could be anything, but I imagined that someone knocked over a full glass of red wine on a white tablecloth - the dinner party nightmare! It wasn't me - I don't drink red...


Similar and Zigzag - I did a lot of thinking about similar. If I look in the mirror, my image is similar, but reversed... Tiny sketches of faces are not my thing, but I was challenging myself with this one. Zigzag could have just been a back and forth line, but I wanted to play with color a little. I have no idea how these two go together!


This is the last page of the month... one of my favorites!
Yoyo and Quack - Yes, working on hands again. The perspective on the yoyo is a little off, but once the ink is there, I'm stuck with it. Quack takes me back to many very giggly times. I can't remember just when Pringles came on the market, but my children and I (and more recently some 'grown-ups) had such fun making duck faces with the Pringles! QUACK!  Both these sketches bring back memories of play...or if you went public with the duck face, someone might call you a 'yoyo.'

I'm well into October...plodding along daily...





No comments:

Post a Comment