Friday, May 13, 2011

Slowing Down

The past 10 days have been sooo busy - classes, meetings, garden work (the weather has been fabulous).  Earlier this week I agreed to substitute for a friend at a watercolor class with Barbara. This is a small group of six students and a lovely, gentle teacher.  Of course, I would go.

I arrived at Barbara's house/studio in overdrive - weighted by all the busyness/craziness that I had been carrying around.  She had a LOT of iris for us to paint.  I have nothing against iris - they can be stunning - but they are NOT easy to paint.  It just seemed like one more thing to do...

However, the day before Barbara had bought a beautiful hanging basket which she had hung outside in her garden.  She suggested that as an option for painting that day.  I grabbed a chair and my sketchbook and went outside. It turned out to be the perfect spot for me.  I found myself gradually unwinding as I lost myself in several sketches - various planters, an old ceramic frog, the garden hose, fern and ivy growing on an old garden tie...  I found myself in stillness and fed my soul for 2 hours!  Not artwork to be framed, just remembered.

Thank you, Barbara, for a wonderful morning! (I may be making return visits to your backyard)





2 comments:

  1. You have such talent ... and I'm blessed to know you!

    Happy painting ... Katie

    ReplyDelete