Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Finishing the Peppers

Yesterday I was a substitute in a watercolor class.  For the past couple of weeks the class has been working on painting steamed crabs.  Our teacher had crabs for dinner, saved a few in the freezer and brought them out for us to paint.  Having done a lot of crab painting for my banner, I really didn't want to paint crabs one more time... (and the crabs had been in and out of that freezer a few times...hmmm).

Two other students were working on fig leaves - again nice, but it didn't excite me.

Aha... there on a little table near me was a bowl of several peppers!  That looked promising, so I took three different kinds and put them on the floor next to me.  A bird's eye view - something a little different.

It was fun. I sprayed water and I painted.  I love wet on wet - the way watercolors run into each other and create wonderful surprises.  At the end of class we looked at each other's paintings and talked about what to do next.


I always have a question about what to do with the background.  There were a few suggestions - a tablecloth, add a few olives, a plate... the tile floor /could be a tile countertop. 

So, I brought it home and played with it this morning.  I tweaked the peppers a little and added tiles. I rather like it this way - looks more finished.



Now, it needs a title - any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment