Friday, September 25, 2015

Creating Art - the Process

The art league will have a new exhibit at the St Michaels Library in October. It's called 'Creating Art - the Process.' I have found it a lot of fun - and good learning  - to document my process in creating a painting. . .now I will get to see how other artists take on this challenge.

So, here is one of the paintings I will be entering in this exhibit. After I painted 'THE Arrangement' (see post of September 10) I thought it would be fun to try taping another piece of watercolor paper. The first painting was horizontal - this one would be vertical.

My idea for this painting was to just use blue and yellow and see what would happen. This first application of color was very wet. I love to see what the colors will do! When watercolor paint dries, the colors are more muted.



I added more color - with less water this time - and let it dry again. Then I removed the tape. (forgot to take a picture before the next step)

I wanted to bring the sections together so I dabbed a sponge in the blue-yellow-green puddles on my palette and crossed over some of the white lines.


It's looking very much like a lattice. I know I am sort of color crazy - I had a teacher once who said "Every painting needs a spot of red." At this point I hear his voice in my head and can't shake it. . . but, I also don't want to ruin what I have done already. 

It's time for the acetate - clear plastic that I can experiment with on top of my painting. I can paint on it and get an idea of what might work. I try a few different ideas. 


Still not right. Then I decided to stop and take this painting to class for suggestions. 

 "Make the flower look like a real flower." "Add a vine. Make it look like it really belongs there."

After googling 'flowering vines and morning glories' (which are NOT always blue/white as I had thought - yea, I can use red),  I made several more acetate tries and came up with this final product.

"The Lattice" - 16x20 framed watercolor $175
The exhibit will be hung on October first and run through the month. Drop by, see this painting and find out how other artists create, too!


No comments:

Post a Comment