Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Within/without 6 feet

This past week our Tuesday group assigned ourselves the task of sketching/painting the 'stuff' we see around us. Much of it is ordinary and overlooked. Subject matter for artwork, really?

I had started some sketches the last time we met as a group. I looked around the paint studio where we usually gather. There were rolls of paper towels, a coffee mug and two egg cartons (one of our painters has chickens and brings us eggs!)



Looking around my house, I found a lot of stuff...
Here's a split leaf philodendron which I have had for 30 years... it gets overlooked a lot - probably because it's been part of the scenery for so long.




Then there is the toothbrush holder and a fun mug that holds a lot of pens and pencils.



I've always loved this little frog that keeps the door from slamming shut.


Oh, and then there are tools! I was a woodworker before I discovered painting. Here's my drill press. The perspective is not quite right, but it was a fun challenge to draw.




It was a fun project  - and I will probably continue to do some more looking around with a renewed appreciation for the 'stuff.'   

Tuesday morning it was good to have a Zoom critique and see what everyone else had done. We are so different in our painting styles, but all grateful to be together and to share our stories.


No comments:

Post a Comment