Saturday, July 11, 2020

Collections

About a month ago I mentioned in a post that I had been sketching lots of 'stuff' around my house. I felt I needed to just sketch and was looking for 'collections' of things. I began by picking out various flower vases... here's the sketch from a prior post.
It was fun looking around to find what things would go together. I found myself singing that wonderful old Sesame Street song, "One of these things is not like the other..." as I made decisions about including or excluding what I would sketch.

I began with coffee mugs...probably we all have collections of them! I excluded a lot due to space and also composition...
Next were candlesticks and candles. I found them on the mantle and on several different shelves.
I guess, by then I was into lighting, so I went looking at lamps. I was concentrating on shapes... 


Now I am feeling pretty proud of myself and wanted to tackle something a little more difficult. What about chairs? This would give me challenges in perspective and force me to look closely. I really worked on seeing them from different angles.


By now I am pretty giddy and want to go in an entirely different direction. 

Hmmm, what other collections do we have around the house? And I spy... EEYORE! He is everywhere... small and large floppy, stuffed animals. One of them talks and moves his head when you squeeze a foot; another one walks when you wind him up. Then there is a hand puppet, a coffee mug and even an alarm clock!
 


It is amazing what I can find right in front of me! Take a look around. What collections (or other stuff) is right there for you to sketch, paint, or create something new?

The other thing that had meaning for me during this process was looking at 'things' in new ways... and, remembering the stories that each thing had to tell. Each 'thing' was a lovely prompt to reflect on it's history...




No comments:

Post a Comment