Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Tomatoes!

There is nothing like a fresh summer tomato!

My son has been an organic farmer for over twenty years. Every Saturday, from May through October he has sold his veggies at a farmers market in Montpelier, VT.

I have always thought his veggie displays were beautiful...and I particularly craved his tomatoes! He carefully boxed his tomatoes so they would not be bruised. They were packed gently - no one wants a crushed tomato!

I took this photograph several years ago. I love its simplicity.

"One Turned Over"

This week I have an opportunity to put a couple pieces of artwork in an upcoming show. What about showing the photo as my inspiration along with a newly created painting?

I began by drawing all the tomatoes...and then started painting. As I painted, I kept asking myself ...was this really a good idea? It seemed like the more I painted the more I had to paint!


I got this far and had another thought... I really should have painted in the box first. I will have to paint around all those tomatoes! I probably should have started over...but the thought of painting all the tomatoes again...no way!

By the end of the afternoon I was here...


An OK start...I needed to leave it overnight. When I came back to it the following day, I was itching to get out my pastels. I really like to mix the two media. The watercolor underpainting enhances the pastel. The glow comes through. I added some highlights and tweaked here and there...

"The Taste of Vermont"
It will soon be tomato season. I can hardly wait!


No comments:

Post a Comment