Saturday, June 27, 2015

More softer edges

Yes, more crinkled paper.

While I was experimenting with the 'flowers' from the last couple of posts, I was also working on another painting. I wanted to try something with a little different look. I began again with a very wet piece of crinkled paper. I dropped some reds and yellows  - mixed them a little to get the orange - and watched the pigment flow around the crinkles. I love to watch the way watercolors find their way around the paper.

It needed some darks. I knew I wanted to do something unlike me. (I find myself always going to primary colors)  So instead of red, yellow, blue. . . I dropped some purples into the mix. And, then I let the colors explore the paper. The paper is still wet - the edges are beautifully soft.

I put it aside to dry. Normally, when watercolor dries the colors become more muted. Surprisingly, these colors stayed fairly vibrant. But, it needed something to bring it together.

Maybe some lifting of color . . . I wet my brush with clear water and lifted some straight lines. Hmmm, a good start - then I added two arcs. Interesting.

11x14 matted watercolor - untitled  $75

Maybe that's all that it needs . . . I might just let it be for awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment